Monday, October 4, 2010

RIGO 23 - Part I (The Wall)

Al Ma’mal invited me to paint a mural. We discussed where and what scale but because a mural in the city would have to be erased after the Jerusalem Show, they decided that it should actually be painted on the wall at the entrance to Al-Ma’mal itself. I said that ideally I would like to work with a group of young people and they said OK. We tried to find a group to work with in Jerusalem but it didn’t quite work with the project so Al Ma’mal suggested I work with students from the International Academy of Art, Palestine, in Ramallah.
At this point the working title for the piece was Just another hole in the wall, a reference to the Pink Floyd album The Wall. However, the students were not granted permits to come to Jerusalem to work on the project so there had to be a change of plan. This was really the beginning of being here for me. Al Ma’mal said they could try and find another group in Jerusalem but I said no. The Ramallah students can’t come here but I can go to them so that was how the title of this collaborative project became Back and Forth to
The plain wall is small for a mural but because Al Ma’mal refers to the Tile Factory I thought about using tiles and for this, the wall is big. So this could shift the scale of the wall and connect to the Factory at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not use any accounts listed below, please select 'Name/URL' to comment. You can then type your name and leave URL blank (unless you want to link your own website). Thank you.