Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Young Palestinian Artists (Part II) - African Community Centre

At  the African Community Centre the work of four from the Young Palestinian Artists project was exhibited. As in Al Hoash the work was very mixed in terms of medium and included painting, sculpture, installation and photography .

THE AFRICAN COMMUNITY CENTRE





Mohammad Hawajiri
Breij Camp, Gaza.
Between Us, Photography (2010)

This is an art project that sheds light on the paintings of martyrs which are on display in public places in Palestinian cities and refugee camps. Some of the places add a new value to the paintings posted on electric posts, roofs of houses and other high places. The paintings of different sizes have become a phenomenon in Palestinian society because it shows reverence to them and immortalizes their memory and glorifies their heroic acts. In this project I present new pictures and images of Palestinian martyrs who are still living among us but in a new creative and artistic way far from the idea of death and dissolution. (Text (abridged) from Jerusalem Show IV Catalogue)





 
Randa Madar
Majdal Shams, Golan Heights
No Sgn of Hope, sculpture (2010)

In this work I try to put forth my vision influenced by the contradictory interaction between my body and my psyche and my inability to comprehend the entirety of events that occur in a peculiar society that has its own  special political, social and economic circumstances. I did not wish to look for solutions or at motives and conditions that shape the current situation but rather I tried to present part of what lives in me while focusing on the points that seem to me to be of utmost significance. (Text (abridged) from Jerusalem Show IV Catalogue)  





Mouayad Amleh
Qiblan/Nablus
The Centre Cannot Hold, Installation (2010)

The Centre Cannot Hold is a portable bus stop with a seat and cover for shade. This is Mouayad Amleh’s solution for not having a bus stop he is allowed to use:

I usually stand on the main road connecting the cities of Nablus and Ramallah waiting for the bus that takes me to Ramallah. I stand near Zaatara Military Barrier south of Nablus and to my left Israeli settlers from a nearby settlement, and Israeli soldiers who have just finished their shift at the barrier, wait and hide themselves under a cemented bus stop. To my right are indigenous Palestinian civilians who have been asked by the soldiers at the barrier to stand far from the cement bus stop by at least 100 metres. (Text (abridged) from Jerusalem Show IV Catalogue)




Karim Abu Shaqra
Umm Al Fahem
2010 … 67… 48… Four Panel Painting, Acrylic on canvas (2010)

This huge painting spread over four panels was displayed across the entire rear wall of the African Community Centre.


The work reflects the suffering of the Palestinian people and the life they have been living since 1948. The painting incorporates the meanings of suffering: pain, hardship, misery, sadness and loss of dear ones and friends. I, a Palestinian artist, am living and experiencing the current life of the Palestinian people. In this work I portray the events that my people have lived through, reflecting on the symbols and colours that stand for the past and the suffering of my people. (Text (abridged) from Jerusalem Show IV Catalogue)








No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not use any accounts listed below, please select 'Name/URL' to comment. You can then type your name and leave URL blank (unless you want to link your own website). Thank you.